It’s been about 2 years since I started this project. Back then I was almost done with remodeling and I wanted to add lights to my ceiling. With the construction of the new, lowered, plasterboard ceiling I already put the wiring in place, so I could easily add the lights later. Since the lowered ceiling only has about 8 cm clearance to the old (concrete) ceiling, the lights needed to be slim, and produce little heat. This meant halogen (gu10) was not an option. After a few bad experiences with cheap, chinese Ebay lights, I found a great deal and bought some 7.5 Watt Philips Smartspots.
Out of convenience I picked up a Klik Aan Klik Uit system, as it was available at the local hardware store. I used a remote to control the leds in groups of three, as Philips supplied them with a driver per set. After about a week this setup started to annoy me, I wanted to be able to dim each light individual and in groups. It didn’t take me long to realise, I wanted to connect them to my Hue system. At this time I started to gather information about how this could be done. After a short while I came across the Innr lights and the rest is history.
The dimmable lights from the previous post where a great success, but it was not enough. Today, there are 15 lights in my ceiling and adding a JN5168 for each one of them would work, but would also break the bank. Also, the cost wouldn’t be far from these commercial ballasts (in fact, if I’d know about them before I started, I would not have started this project at all). For this project to be a success and make it usable for the community I needed the results needed to be more efficient. Luckily I knew (actually it was hoping until a few weeks ago) the project could be way more efficient, while reading up on the Zigbee and Light Link specification, I came across the following paragraph:
“A node may have several applications running on it – for example, a node in an environment monitoring network may be measuring temperature and humidity, each of which is an application. Access to application instances is provided through endpoints, which act as communication ports for the applications. In order to direct a message to the appropriate application instance on a node, the relevant endpoint must be specified. Endpoints are numbered from 1 to 240. Therefore, to communicate with a remote application instance in a ZigBee network, you need to supply the address of the remote node together with the required endpoint number on the node. Endpoint 255 is the broadcast endpoint number – the same data can be sent to all application instances on a node by sending the message to this endpoint number.”
These lines made me realise that if I could get a JN5168 running a single light, connected to my Hue, it would be a matter of time before I could control all my lights with a few controllers. And that time has come. Last week I completed the firmware capable of controlling up to 5 lights and I controlled 3 (for testing) of my ceiling lights through the Hue system. This video shows the 5 light endpoint in action:
Of course my ceiling lights cannot be controlled by the JN5168 directly, for this I was gonna need some other hardware. After some googling I found some great info with the reefing community. This community has some great DIY LED projects, just use google and you will find a ton. I’ve spent hours looking through these projects, mainly because of the beauty of some of the tanks. A little distracted I eventually did find what I was looking for.
The Mean Well LDD-H driver is a complete driver, just add power and a PWM signal and you are ready to go! Exactly what I need. To use the drivers I needed some sort of board to put them on. As it turns out, the reefing communities DIY projects opened a whole market for commercial and open source products.
For the driver board, I picked one from Coralux, as I found some positive reviews (and had some bad Chinese Ebay experiences). The shipment contained everything I needed, including chip sockets for easy removal of the drivers and a 3d printed part to remove the unused pins from the socket. Great!
Everything was easy to solder and I had the board ready in no time. With all the parts in place and the firmware for three endpoints loaded, I connected the PWM and ground to the driver board and temporarily mounted it to the wall.
Time to put it all to the test. I did some testing with a single light, and that was working fine. The following video was actually the first time I tried to connect multiple lights at the same time.
Wow, this felt like magic. At this time I ran to the living room and played with the lights for a few hours! After that, I made a video with the actual lights. For this one I deleted the lights from the Hue, so they could be rediscovered (hang in there, it takes a while 🙂 ).
This feels like coming home after a long journey.
I’ve created a page dedicated to the new firmware (including downloads) and I will keep it updated. You can find it here.
Now, on to a new project.. I’m thinking reefing 🙂